There is always new and exciting Research findings being done and we want to keep everyone in the loop!
- Our Chief of Staff of the Research and Development Department of the St. Louis VA, Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly, along with other researchers, has published a paper in Nature Magazine on the long term effects of COVID-19.
- Long COVID is serious health problem and can affect nearly every organ in the human body. It has been called America’s next big health crisis
- The National database of the US Department of Veterans Affairs was used to identify 6-month incident sequalae including diagnoses, medication use, and laboratory abnormalities in 30-day survivors of COVID-19.
- “We show that beyond the first 30 days of illness, people with COVID-19 exhibit higher risk of death and health resource utilization.”
- “Our high dimensional approach identifies incident sequalae in the respiratory system and several others including nervous system and neurocognitive disorders, mental health disorders, metabolic disorders, cardiovascular disorders, gastrointestinal disorders, malaise, fatigue, musculoskeletal pain, and anemia. We show increased incident use of several therapeutics including pain medications (opioids and non-opioids), antidepressants, anxiolytics, antihypertensives, and oral hypoglycemics and evidence of laboratory abnormalities in multiple organ systems.”
- Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly, Yan Xie, and Benjamin Bowe all work for the St. Louis VA Healthcare System in the local research department. Dr. Al-Aly is the Chief of Staff of the department, and Yan Xie and Benjamin Bowie work as biostatisticians working on several research projects
- VREF will be hosting a webinar with Dr. Al-Aly on June 23rd, from 1:00 -2:00 CST. The webinar will provide an overview of the latest research on Long COVID, discuss implications for patients, and health systems. It will be followed by a discussion and Q&A from registered attendees.